Situated on the eastern fringe of Dartmoor, Adventure Lodge, has both secure enclosed grounds, and direct access onto open moorland, it provides a great space for both outdoor activities and environmental studies.
Adventure Lodge is situated close to Haytor Rocks on the eastern fringe of Dartmoor, approximately mid-way between Widecombe-in-the-Moor and Bovey Tracey.
Adventure Lodge accommodation includes:
- Main House – this house provides sleeping facilities for up to 17 individuals with varying sized rooms.
- Cabins facilities – 5 cabins in total, each cabin sleeps 4 people
- Camping field – with space for up to 55 campers
- Toilets & showers – separate facilities are available for male and female.
- Kitchen – a fully equipped kitchen is available where your tasty meals will be prepared by Christine.
- Dining room & hall – a communal area for dining, chatting and laughter.
- Outdoor spaces – woodland, our own fire pit, swimming pool, activity areas and of course Dartmoor itself
- Accessibility – a wheelchair friendly bedroom and washroom facilities are available and all our buildings have easy access too
Some facts about the Adventure Lodge site:
- It has around 5.5 acres of woodland
- There are 2 campsite fields available as well as various activity areas
- It sits within the Dartmoor National Park
- It is 1,500 feet above sea level
A little bit of history and a few facts…
The history of the grounds of Adventure Lodge dates back to the 1930s and has a pretty interesting past.
During World War 1, the site was used by the British Army, and in World War 2 by the US Army. The plan was to use the site as a field hospital although in the end, it was never used for this purpose.
In the 1930s the site was an area of rough moorland with two wooden bungalows. However, Exeter businessman Leonard Turner who lived opposite the site had great visions, he saw an opportunity to turn it into a place where nature and the outdoors could be used to build character, challenge, train and provide a chance for leadership skills to thrive within young people. That is when the centre was born.
Since then the site has received continual improvements and developments which have included the indoor accommodation being entirely rebuilt and the addition of a campsite kitchen and dining hall, to name but a few.
These holidays are based at Adventure Lodge: